Friday, April 12, 2013

Stenciled Tag and Pediments Die

I LOVE the new die from Tim Holtz.....Pediments!
 
......and it fits perfectly on the top and bottom of a #8 Manila Tag...
 
...what more could you ask for???????
 
 
I started with a tag and the Chickenwire stencil from The Crafter's Workshop. I used the Flexible Modeling Paste that I had and a palette knife to add it to a majority of the tag's middle area.

I'm sure all kinds of paste out there works much the same way, but the key here to the bright colors is the extremely white color of the paste.
 
 
 I spread it on and then make peaks with the flat surface of the knife to create a little interest. (Please ignore the palette knife, it has something I used YEARS ago that dried on it before I was smart enough to clean it off....and so now it never will come off! The paste is pure white.)
 
 
I, of course, can't wait, so I dried it from the front and the back with the Heat It tool. Keep it moving so you don't bubble your paste.
 
When dry, I applied the Distress Stains generously letting the areas where different colors touch blend and create more colors.  Persimmon and Raspberry???? YEAH! What a gorgeously bright color it made.
 
The Peacock and Raspberry....perfect!
 
Could have stopped before the Black Soot arrived at the bottom, but it's OK since I cut it off anyway.

 
Then I broke out the stamps and the Archival Ink. I mainly used the Classics #2 stamp collection all around the tag, but there are 2 spots of Script from the Apothecary set.

 
The Metal Foil Tape is added to thick plain chipboard and diecut using the Pediment die. I LOVE this die!!!
 
The Alcohol Inks were added with the Blending Tool and Felt all at the same time. They backrun into each other if you let them dry and reapply. The trick is knowing when to stop. For those eagle-eyed people out there, you know who you are, the bottom pediment was a bit too blue for me, so I use a different one on the finished project. FYI.
 
When dry, add little Flourish stamps with Archival Ink.

 
The little guy was stamped with Archival Ink onto Specialty Stamping Paper, and embossed with Super Fine Black Embossing Powder. 
 
The Flourish was cut from Chipboard and sprayed with several colors of Adirondack Color Washes and Perfect Pearls Mists for a class a long time ago. It was just calling my name to be used with our little man here.
 
I cut him out and added a few Distress Markers to color him in.

 
 Then I flipped him over and added some pieces of chipboard to layer him up a bit.

 
 I didn't want the tag hole to show under the Pediment, so after layering the tag onto Black Chipboard, I cut about a half inch off the top and bottom. It had better composition in my opinion. 
 
 
I added some Black Soot over the top of the raised areas to make the color pop a bit.
 
 Glue on the Pediments and add the other embellishments.
 

 
 The last spot that needed something had a Cash Key tied with Waxed Linen glued to it.
 
This also shows a better look at the Pediment without all the glare. The inks on the metal are really cool.
 
I hope you have as much fun with these products and I did. Most can be found at Inspiration Emporium.
 
Linda
 
Products Used:
 
The Crafter's Workshop - Chickenwire Stencil
Tim Holtz Alterations - Bigz Pediments , Elegant Flourishes
Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks - Watermelon, Butterscotch, Stream
Tim Holtz Stamper's Anonymous - Classic #2, Apothecary, and The Boys
Tim Holtz Idea-ology - Cash Keys
Tim Holtz - Distress Markers
Tim Holtz Sizzix - Vagabond Machine
Liquitex - Flexible Modeling Paste - White
 Plain and Black Core Chipboard
Small Flourish Stamp
 

28 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh this is wonderful! Love that bright textured background the the vocal image stamp is just wonderful! Great tag!!

Helen said...

Linda this looks superb!! I love the colour, and tim's die looks amazing on your tag. have a great weekend...

Kathie said...

I love it!! The new die is a must have for me. I love your colors!!! Gorgeous!

Linda said...

Love this! The modeling paste and colors are perfect. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Magical. The colors are amazing. I just love this piece!

Claudine said...

Beautiful

Inkypinkycraft said...

What a fab make , love what you have done to the pediments...must get mine out of the packing ! A really fab make trace x

Sharon Y said...

Makes me happy! Just gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration.

Kate Yetter said...

Another stunning piece!! I love this tag. Especially the texture, colors, that die and the little man. Thank you for sharing how you made it! I believe this will be my inspiration to create today! Happy weekend.
Kate

SusanK said...

Yummy- scrummy! I just got that die yesterday and was hoping they would fit the tag or maybe an atc. hurray!

Rea' said...

WOW Linda that's amazing ( ok I gotta have that die!! ), love how you did this, the man is too cool and the colors are great !!!

Lisa H said...

I love how the stains look on the paste!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda:
I'm just back from being part of the Paper Artsy team at Version Scrap in Paris (what fun we had!), and we worked a lot with P.A.'s new Grunge Paste and stencils - same kind of techniques as in your post here. The projects Lin and Leandra were demo'ing were as striking and beautiful as yours here and it was such a thrill to be part of all that. The three of you are all so talented and offer up such wonderful projects for us all to base some of our dreams upon -- don't know what I would do without you.
Thank you for a simply beautiful project.
Greetings from Sally in France xo

Beth Norman said...

Wowza, so gorgeous. I love your colourful bg. I think I need some pendements. They rock your project as does the metal.

Kay Wallace said...

Sweet tag, Linda! Your are right, that die is to *die* for, for sure! Beautiful composition and combination of elements make this one of a kind!

Martina said...

An exceptionally beautiful and artistic creation, dear Linda! Really terrific!

Julie Lee said...

Your blog is terrific and your step by step instructions are superb. You recently inspired me to make some Retro Cafe Exploding Victorian boxes that Kristin posted on the facebook fan page so many thanks for all the wonderful inspiration you give and your makes and presentations are breathtakingly lovely. This blog is the best!

Dame Jeanne Marie said...

This is amazing!! I love how you put the metal tape over the chip and die cut - the end result is beautiful!!!!

Art By Wanda said...

Fabulously beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn Stevens said...

Ohhh that chicken wire stencil is so cool. I haven't seen one of those yet and so much better than the real wire. I always seem to scratch myself. Great tag Linda.
Hugs Lynn

Unknown said...

What a great tutorial! I love your tag!!!

Sandy said...

Hey Linda - this is fabulous and I want to thank you for sharing with us how you did it - I need all the help I can get!!!!!!
Sandy

Candy C said...

Linda...oh my word! This tag is amazing! I really love the pediment dies to, but never thought to turn them upside down! Duh...genius! I love the metal foil tape and alcohol ink look on them. Wow...they are so stinkin' cool and blend so perfectly with the rest of your gorgeous tag. LOVE IT! <3 Candy

Lori said...

This is fabulouso! Love the pediments on the tag top and bottom, so glad I bought that this weekend! LOL. Was great to see you, even though we didn't get to chat much..fun class, wasn't it?

mamablitger said...

Oh no...another amazing project from you...just love your art work. Happy to get some inspiration on what to do with these dies since I already did buy them..,NOW I know exactly what to do !! Wohooooo !
Thanks a lot for sharing your talents and great tutorials.
Hugs from SPAIN

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tag. I just purchased the Pendiment die. Thanks for the tutorial. Great Job. Karen.x

Rosetta Savage-Jenkins said...

I would never have considered purchasing this die until I saw what you did with it...WOW!

Barbara Rankin said...

This is gorgeous. I love those pediment dies, too, and I may have to borrow your idea for the foil adhered to the chipboard before cutting idea. TFS the process.