Friday, March 13, 2015

Recycled Art Journal Page for Finnabair Blog

Time for another blog post from me with the 
Finnabair Creative Team on



I've yet to do a journal page for the team, and you know I love to create pages. This is somewhat like a page, but it starts with some upcycled material.

These great pieces of kraft colored paper are from the packaging of the stencils from Finnabair and Prima.  I just could not throw them away, so here they become our base for this project.


Begin by giving one of them a random layer of Heavy White Gesso with a wide brush. Don't completely cover the areas. I thought the hanging cutout was interesting, so I left it on, but cut off the folded top piece.


Next I mixed up a bit of 3D Gloss Gel and the fabulous Rust Mica Powder. You will LOVE this color. 

Then add it to your piece using the Cobblestone Stencil. See how shiny this color turns out.


I used 2 different "reds" to add letters with the Alpha Stencil. One is with ink and one is an acrylic paint.

Then the really, really cool Graphite Texture Paste is used with the Harlequin Stencil. This stuff looks soooooo much different when it dries, you'll be amazed!


I added some archival inks using the Messy and Crackle Clear Stamps.

Then a lot of pen-work layers and some turquoise and black sprayed paints. Spritz with water to get them to move and dilute.


I wanted lots of contrast so I outlined several areas with the white pen and added shading to others.

See how the Texture Paste has sparkles in it?!?! I also create different areas of interest with white free-hand doodles.


This is the red ink stenciling. It wasn't as bold as I wanted, so I outlined it with a black gel pen.


I loved all the areas of the paper's edges and didn't want to trim them down, so I used Distress Inks, browns and black soot, for more color.

The Rust and Dust and Old Town Cling Stamp sets are wonderful for creating the rolled stamped areas in the background.



I hated to cover this all up, but I thought a focal point would add interest, so I stamped the Now is the Right Time lady onto manila cardstock and fussy cut it out.

Using Tombow pens I added a bright heart and words, but very muted color to the rest of the image. Distress Inks were added to the image and edges.

White pen doodles decorate the black areas of the image. I layered it onto chipboard, and glued to the page. To flatten the whole thing out I cut a piece of plain chipboard painted black, and layered it on with scor-tape. 


I am really loving the new Mica Powders in the Gloss Gel. The colors are AMAZING! The new Stencils are perfect for Journal pages, and I cannot say enough about the Graphite Texture Paste.  I was so excited to see how it dried!!!

So the message here is if you love the packaging paper, don't throw it away, create something with it! You can practice your stenciling or stamping without feeling like you need an expensive substrate.

Maybe they'll just turn out great!!!

Hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and are inspired to play! And don't forget to check out the links below as products are now in stock at
 Mixed Media Place and your local stores.

AND there's still time to get in on Finnabair's latest GiveAway on Facebook!!!

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Finnabair/Prima Products used:
Art Basics - Heavy White Gesso
Art Basics - Heavy Black Gesso
Art Basics - 3D Gloss Gel
Art Ingredients -  Mica Powder - Rust
Prima Elements Stencils - Cobblestone, Alpha and Harlequin
Art Extravagance - Texture Paste - Graphite
Prima Clear Stamps - Messy and Crackle
Prima Cling Stamp Sets - Now is the Right Time, Old Town and Rust and Dust

Other Products Used:
Manila tag or cardstock
Black Glaze Gel Pen
Archival Inks
Spray Acrylic Paints

6 comments:

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Gorgeous piece of art!

Kathy Bradley said...

This is an amazing page - the colors, textures and wonderful stamp. Thanks for sharing!

Helen said...

Fantastic texture on this page, Linda, and a great use of the packaging.

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous page, full of fantastic textures & layers.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Wonderful pow factor here! Love it.

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

WOW love this the textures are amazing. Dee x