Friday, May 19, 2017

A Rust and Patina Paste Makeover

The new Patina Pastes and Rust Pastes are out from 
Finnabair and Prima.

This is a piece that was created using the two products plus 
a few Micro Beads and some Mica Flakes.

All the Prima products used here will be carried by 
Michael's 
around May 25th.


This metal hanging plaque and resin medallion were found at Michael's.


The Rust Pastes go right onto the metal plaque with ease.


The Patina Pastes are added with a dry-brush technique.


I used just the Patina Pastes on the resin medallion.  A few Metallic Micro Beads and Mica Flakes are added last with Soft Matte Gel.


This new endeavor with Michael's will give some people who cannot order online and don't have art or scrapbooking stores near them a chance to buy just 8 of the many products that Prima produces.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Monday, May 1, 2017

My Favorite Santos Angel

Hi everyone!

It's my turn to post a project for the

I have been fortunate to have the new Patina Pastes from Finnabair in my Studio, and thought I'd combine them with a Santos Doll.

This one is my favorite, 
that stands about 11" tall.

All links are highlighted for the products used and will take you directly to the shop! 

I wanted to keep her base plain and simple like the vintage ones you see as relics. Most didn't have anything in the bottom of the cage area, and that's what I was going for. This one really is fairly simple in concept.


I started by base-coating my wings, legs, and bases with the Light Patina Metallique paint


Then comes the fun part! 

You can add these colors however you like, but this time I started with the Mint Green first and then the Blue Patina Effect Pastes. They have little grains in them that when dry, are great for adding other colors with a dry brush technique. 


I used some of the Rust Pastes Orange for just a bit more color and then the Brass Patina Paste on top of all of it. 


Here you can see how the light picks up the Brass paste on the top of the texture.

I left the Wings a bit lighter without as much Rust Paste to give them a softer color.


I assembled the base pieces but decided they could use some contrasting color.


This Steampunk Gear II Cut Out made with chipboard is painted with the Royal Red Metallique paint and the Brass Patina. A snap back fit perfectly in the center. 

I glued it together with Heavy Body Gel that is perfect when gluing to things with texture. 


I painted the doll next with 2 coats of flesh-colored acrylic paint. Then I drew a neckline on with a Sharpie and painted portions of the bodice and arms red. Stamp with black Archival ink and add Brass paint accents.

The Grungy Butterfly has mostly Mint Green Patina with just a touch of Brass, and various Metallique paints added on her wings.


The Ornate Fleur Cut-Out was perfect for her headdress and fit perfectly behind Art Doll Push Mold face made with paper clay. I used the same "really" old clear cling stamp from somewhere for the body and headdress.

I used Fresco Paints for the face and sealed with Soft Gloss Gel.


A Gunmetal Ball chain makes up her necklace and she has beautiful Rhinestone Chain (the ones linked are very similar) draped in her outstretched arms. 

I'm really happy with how she turned out....I think she's my new favorite!

On a personal note, I'll be having a Cholecystectomy on Thursday and may lay low for a while. Keep me in your thoughts for some good results. I'm tired of going to the ER with this thing they call a Gallbladder. It will soon be in a jar.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Friday, April 14, 2017

My Angel Winged Lady

 I found these amazing plaques at a huge Craft Store in Minnesota while on vacation. I bought several.

This transformation is probably the most remarkable of them all.


I covered the plain kraft-colored base with a combination of Stone Effects Paste-Pumice, Mini Art Stones and Texture Powder.

Then I glued the paper clay Iron Orchid Design moulded pieces in place.


When they were dry, I added a layer of clear Texture Crackle to the surface. Next glazes in brown and grey are painted on making sure to get into all the nooks and crannies.  This shows the piece dry. I took a baby wipe to the moulds and toned them down to create much lighter areas of contrast with the crackle.


I have several types of brass wings from Retro Cafe Art Gallery. I like to tone down the brightness by aging them with a bit of  Pewter Black patina and then buffing them with a Detailing Block to raise the shine.

I chose the Large Brass Angel Wings in the upper right for this piece.


Finnabair sent us 3 of her new Mechanicals sets and they were calling my name to be added in the open areas of the plaque.

The Patina Pastes are easily added with an alcohol ink colored rhinestone glued to the centers of the Metal Lotus. I rolled the petals a bit with a jewelry tool.

Metallique Paints and Waxes are used to brighten spots, but are hard to see here. Turning the project in the light makes a big difference.


The Cameo has copper Micro Beads set in a Vintage Trinket.

Mores waxes on the raised areas of the Pumice stone pick up some shine. It's all glued together with Heavy Body Gel. Amazing stuff.


That's it for today. I hope you'll be inspired to play, and please let me know what you think. As always.....

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Iron Orchid Design Moulds - Escutcheon I and II, Keyholes
Resin Cameo
Texture Paste - Clear Crackle
Stone Effects Paste - Pumice
Mechanicals - Metal Lotus
Metalliques Acrylic Paints - Rusty Red, Rich Turquoise
Micro Beads - Copper
Memory Hardware - Vintage Trinket-Strasbourg
Vintage Brass Keyhole
Acrylic Paint - Paynes Grey
Large Clear Rhinestones
Alcohol Ink
Antiquing Glaze
Pewter Black Metal Finishing Solution